About Me

On September 1, 2010 my sweet little muppethead, KiraDog, died. She was diagnosed with Cushings disease in November 2009 and it finally gave way to heart disease and liver failure. I knew I needed another dog to fill the void in my heart and my home so I worked with Furbaby Rescue (where Kira came from) and was gently encouraged to meet a particular dog in need of a forever home. On September 10, 2010 I adopted Conor. . . . This is his story.

About Me (and really, when you think about it, it IS all about ME):

Conor: Gender: Masculine; Usage: Irish, English, Irish Mythology; Pronounced: KAHN-ər (English): Anglicized form of the Gaelic name Conchobhar which means "dog lover" or "wolf lover" also "lover of hounds". It has been in use in Ireland for centuries and was the name of several Irish kings.

Hi everyone!

My name is Conor. Well, it used to be Bumper but my mom thought it was as silly name (and in a way, so did I) for a grown-up puppy so she re-named me Conor. Conor, now that's a good strong manly-man Irish name, don't you think? I'm quite proud of it myself :-)

Anyway, I'm a "Liver" coloured Shih Tzu and I was about 2 1/2 years old when I was adopted (Mom says my Birthday is July 4, 2008! She's not 100% sure of the right date, but that's the day she picked). I have allergies and have to be careful (pfft!) about what I eat - no wheat, grains, or beef allowed. I'm a rambunctious guy who always seems to find trouble, er...toys, to play with. I like watching the world around me from my perch in the kitchen bay window and love my mom to bits - and even though he didn't really like me much, I also miss SirWillyCat a little.

Characters in my life:

  • Aunt Jo and Uncle Dale: Mom and Aunt Jo have been friends for almost 30 years, since high school. Aunt Jo is a pet person and raised both her kids to love animals. Uncle Dale, having grown up on a farm, had to be converted a little bit.
  • Aunt Diane: Mom's friend and (retired) co-worker. Aunt Diane lives a few doors away from us and we sometimes go to her place for a visit.
  • Miss Eleni: Founder of Furbaby Rescue
  • Miss Nicole: A Furbaby adopter who has two puppers to call her own. She lives in a different town, but close enough to mom they could visit (if their schedules ever let them!) Miss Nicole loves hearing my stories :-)
  • Miss Vanja: Met mom through Furbaby Rescue. They haven't met in person 'cause she lives far away.
  • VetLady: Dr. I. Elizabeth Borgmann, founder of the Whatcom Road Veterinary Clinic
  • Willy: (aka SirWillyCat): Adopted January 7, 1994. Willy died on January 24, 2011. He was 17 1/2 years old.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

First look at the new neighbourhood

Mom forgot to bring the camera so never mind if you were looking for pictures.

Mom announced it was time for a walk.  Now, I probably don't remember what my other home called it, but I kinda looked up at her as if to say, "A what?"  Then mom pulled out my harness and I have to admit, I got a little worried I was being sent back so I whimpered and started shaking (ok, I was plain ol' scared -  I had no idea what was happening).

So on snapped the harness and instead of going down through the garage, we used the front door (I was wondering where that door lead to!) and mom happily called out, "Let's Go!"  I'm starting to like the words "Let's Go" because so far every time I heard it I got to have a new adventure :-)

Mom must have already had the route mapped out 'cause she seemed to know exactly where we were going.  Apparently I'm kind of rude on a leash.  I tug, go between mom's legs a lot, and always want to dart off in a new direction.  Mom said she's gonna fix that!  She already started by wrapping the leash around her hand a few times so the lead was only about 2 feet long.  Just enough that I wouldn't trip mom but short enough that I HAD to walk beside her the whole time.

Along the way we stopped at Diggity-Dog grooming (sorry, no web site - excellent service and they're fantastic with the dogs there) so I could meet the folks there.  Also, mom told them about Kira passing away and Celina shared the story about her own dog and when he died.  That was kind of depressing, sitting there listening to sad stories.  But then Celina came around the corner, crouched down and took a look at my sore area.  She said no worries, when I'm all better they have special shampoo that won't irritate my skin.  After a few minutes we left and continued our walk.

I saw a few doggies along the way and really wanted to meet them but mom made me "behave myself" (whatever THAT means) so I guess I'll try again tomorrow.  Towards the end of the route I had to poop.  Mom let me poop and HOLY SMOKES, there was a lot of poop!  And it stunk to high heaven, so much so that mom gagged a little (I figure it was partly due to the stress of the change of address and partly due to the medication he's on but ohmygod it was harsh) but it felt so good to go!

I started to get tired and mom noticed she could let the leash out a bit and it hung slack because now I was walking nicely beside her.  Mom said we might go for another "Let's Go!" tonight.  But for now I'm going to curl up on my EleniBlanket and chill.

(Edited to add:  WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN I CAN'T HAVE SOME OF YOUR HOT DOG???????????  Have you ever heard of I Haz A Hot Dog ???  I hate you so much right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Oh yeah, keep shoving that hot dog in your face, my whimpering can give way to anguished barking Just Like That!)

No comments:

Post a Comment