About Me

On September 1, 2010 my sweet little muppethead, KiraDog, died. She was diagnosed with Cushings disease in November 2009 and it finally gave way to heart disease and liver failure. I knew I needed another dog to fill the void in my heart and my home so I worked with Furbaby Rescue (where Kira came from) and was gently encouraged to meet a particular dog in need of a forever home. On September 10, 2010 I adopted Conor. . . . This is his story.

About Me (and really, when you think about it, it IS all about ME):

Conor: Gender: Masculine; Usage: Irish, English, Irish Mythology; Pronounced: KAHN-ər (English): Anglicized form of the Gaelic name Conchobhar which means "dog lover" or "wolf lover" also "lover of hounds". It has been in use in Ireland for centuries and was the name of several Irish kings.

Hi everyone!


My name is Conor. Well, it used to be Bumper but my mom thought it was as silly name (and in a way, so did I) for a grown-up puppy so she re-named me Conor. Conor, now that's a good strong manly-man Irish name, don't you think? I'm quite proud of it myself :-)

Anyway, I'm a "Liver" coloured Shih Tzu and I was about 2 1/2 years old when I was adopted (Mom says my Birthday is July 4, 2008! She's not 100% sure of the right date, but that's the day she picked). I have allergies and have to be careful (pfft!) about what I eat - no wheat, grains, or beef allowed. I'm a rambunctious guy who always seems to find trouble, er...toys, to play with. I like watching the world around me from my perch in the kitchen bay window and love my mom to bits - and even though he didn't really like me much, I also miss SirWillyCat a little.

Characters in my life:

  • Aunt Jo and Uncle Dale: Mom and Aunt Jo have been friends for almost 30 years, since high school. Aunt Jo is a pet person and raised both her kids to love animals. Uncle Dale, having grown up on a farm, had to be converted a little bit.
  • Aunt Diane: Mom's friend and (retired) co-worker. Aunt Diane lives a few doors away from us and we sometimes go to her place for a visit.
  • Miss Eleni: Founder of Furbaby Rescue
  • Miss Nicole: A Furbaby adopter who has two puppers to call her own. She lives in a different town, but close enough to mom they could visit (if their schedules ever let them!) Miss Nicole loves hearing my stories :-)
  • Miss Vanja: Met mom through Furbaby Rescue. They haven't met in person 'cause she lives far away.
  • VetLady: Dr. I. Elizabeth Borgmann, founder of the Whatcom Road Veterinary Clinic
  • Willy: (aka SirWillyCat): Adopted January 7, 1994. Willy died on January 24, 2011. He was 17 1/2 years old.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

A new friend, a cardboard box, a bath, and the fireplace...

But not necessarily in that order!

Aunt Diane came home this week from a looooong holiday.  Mom said I could finally meet her when she recovered from travelling.


I got to meet Aunt Diane on Friday - she is sooooo cool!   She gave me a toy (a koala bear puppet) but I wasn't allowed to bring it home.  Mom said that's my special toy for when we visit Aunt Diane.  Aunt Diane pet me, and I snuck a cuddle in; AND I'm allowed up on the love seat in the window!  I was told over and over that I'm a good boy and darn it, I'm handsome and cute all at the same time.  Everyone needs a doting Aunt and looks like I gots one all to myself :-)

Today is Bath Day and I squirmed more than usual.  *I* thought I smelled great, but mom had a different opinion.  She said she could still smell WillyTruffles seeping out of my pores, although my breath is better.  That, and my fur felt a little greasy.   So bright and early this morning mom took me out for a potty break then plopped me in the laundry tub.  Because mom won't use the dryer on me, she turned on the fireplace so the living room would be nice and toasty warm for when I have the AfterBathCrazies.  She also vacuumed the carpet so when I run around in circles, I would stay clean.

And that's exactly what I did.  After my bath mom rubbed me over and over, then I had my towel cuddle.  After mom 'cut me loose' in the living room, I rubbed my ears on the carpet, going in so many circles, mom lost track!  Then mom said I was still a little too wet (my fur has grown back to the point where I think I might need a haircut soon!) so mom towel dried me some more then brushed me all over (several times 'cause I shook and shook in between brushing).  We played fetch with a few toys and I got so excited I nipped at mom a few times, even caught her nose at one point!  But in the end, I smelled great and was all dry, even the part under my chin.

We're going for our "Let's Go!" earlier than normal this afternoon (that's why I had to have my bath really early) because mom said, "All hell's gonna break loose tonight!"  Mom tied to explain that in years past kids weren't allowed to trick or treat in this complex.  Some ladies would set up a table at the entrance and ask for donations of money or candy to give out to the kids instead.  All that changed this year and kids are now allowed to go door-to-door.  Mom said because it's not been allowed before, she doesn't know how many kids to expect.  She has enough candy for 300 kids, though (well, I saw her sneaking a few pieces so let's just say she has enough for 290 kids...) and she expects the fun to start around 5-ish for the wee little kids.

Yesterday I helped mom decorate the front of the house AND she asked Aunt Diane to come over, if she wasn't prepared to hand out candy herself (after all, she just got back and may not have had time to buy any candy to give out!)  I sure hope Aunt Diane comes over tonight!!!!  Anyway, back to decorating - THAT's when I found me another cardboard box to demolish!  Mom had a bunch of stuff left over from long ago when she lived in Alberta so she found it and opened a few boxes to decorate,  I was happily watching mom on the porch (I was tethered with a 15' tie-out cord so I wouldn't get too excited and run into the road, but long enough that I could hang out on the porch) when she GAVE ME a box to chomp on!  So much for BoxHab!

No pictures yet today - though mom expects to take some tonight, IF I do OK with all the activity that she expects.

I'll tell you how I did, tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment