About Me

On September 1, 2010 my sweet little muppethead, KiraDog, died. She was diagnosed with Cushings disease in November 2009 and it finally gave way to heart disease and liver failure. I knew I needed another dog to fill the void in my heart and my home so I worked with Furbaby Rescue (where Kira came from) and was gently encouraged to meet a particular dog in need of a forever home. On September 10, 2010 I adopted Conor. . . . This is his story.

About Me (and really, when you think about it, it IS all about ME):

Conor: Gender: Masculine; Usage: Irish, English, Irish Mythology; Pronounced: KAHN-…ôr (English): Anglicized form of the Gaelic name Conchobhar which means "dog lover" or "wolf lover" also "lover of hounds". It has been in use in Ireland for centuries and was the name of several Irish kings.

Hi everyone!


My name is Conor. Well, it used to be Bumper but my mom thought it was as silly name (and in a way, so did I) for a grown-up puppy so she re-named me Conor. Conor, now that's a good strong manly-man Irish name, don't you think? I'm quite proud of it myself :-)

Anyway, I'm a "Liver" coloured Shih Tzu and I was about 2 1/2 years old when I was adopted (Mom says my Birthday is July 4, 2008! She's not 100% sure of the right date, but that's the day she picked). I have allergies and have to be careful (pfft!) about what I eat - no wheat, grains, or beef allowed. I'm a rambunctious guy who always seems to find trouble, er...toys, to play with. I like watching the world around me from my perch in the kitchen bay window and love my mom to bits - and even though he didn't really like me much, I also miss SirWillyCat a little.

Characters in my life:

  • Aunt Jo and Uncle Dale: Mom and Aunt Jo have been friends for almost 30 years, since high school. Aunt Jo is a pet person and raised both her kids to love animals. Uncle Dale, having grown up on a farm, had to be converted a little bit.
  • Aunt Diane: Mom's friend and (retired) co-worker. Aunt Diane lives a few doors away from us and we sometimes go to her place for a visit.
  • Miss Eleni: Founder of Furbaby Rescue
  • Miss Nicole: A Furbaby adopter who has two puppers to call her own. She lives in a different town, but close enough to mom they could visit (if their schedules ever let them!) Miss Nicole loves hearing my stories :-)
  • Miss Vanja: Met mom through Furbaby Rescue. They haven't met in person 'cause she lives far away.
  • VetLady: Dr. I. Elizabeth Borgmann, founder of the Whatcom Road Veterinary Clinic
  • Willy: (aka SirWillyCat): Adopted January 7, 1994. Willy died on January 24, 2011. He was 17 1/2 years old.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

I didn't title this post 'cause I'm not sure how I would describe this week.

The day after Willy died mom called the petcare place that took care of Kira and was able to bring him directly to them, as opposed to going through the Vet.  The same man who helped mom with Kira also helped her with Willy and told mom to come back in an hour to pick him up.  I went with mom to the place and met the man - though mom says I'm not allowed to meet him again for At Least 10 years!


Mom was sad, though she didn't cry very much.  I got worried when she started to cry and made it Very Clear I was going to do whatever it took to make her stop.  Whew!  She stopped after a few minutes.  Willy is home now so mom isn't as sad anymore.

Tuesday night mom tried to tell me I wasn't allowed on the bed just because Willy wasn't there any more.

Pfft.


"Conor, get off the bed"  "Conor!  Get Off The Bed."  "CONOR!  I'm talking to you!"


Lalalalalalala I can't heeeeeear you - Iz sleeping!!


*heavy sigh*

"Oh Conor...OK, just for tonight then."





Mom finally relented and realized she was fighting a losing battle trying to keep me from protecting her at night.  So she used an old sheet for yours truly to curl up on.






We're now five days into our new routine.  While mom gets ready for bed I hop up and wait at the bottom of the bed while she crawls in.  Then I go to the top of the bed and tuck my head on the pillow.  At this point mom reaches over and scruffs my head.  I roll ever so slightly and get belly rubs (!!) then mom says good night, gives me a kiss, then we go to sleep.  Mom usually finds me pressed up against her hip in the mornings.

This weekend mom washed my NicoleBlankey and she said she's going to put it on the bed for me so I have my own space.  HA!  The whole bed is my own space, mom (or at least, it is when you're not looking...)

Also this weekend mom washed the last of Willy's stuff, his litter box, blankey, food/water stations, etc.  Mom is giving the litter and food to her friend who has six (6!!) cats (holy crap, that's a lot of cats!)  She packed the other stuff all away 'cause she might get another cat some day.  Now, when Kira died mom got me 2 weeks later.  So when her friends were asking if she would get another cat, even though she said no, they all smirked and said, "yeah right!"  So mom said she may get one again, but not right now 'cause she's talking about moving again and says it's easier with only one pet to worry about.

So this week I've tried to be on my best behaviour knowing mom is sad.  I've been cuddling her and giving loves - OH!  I'm allowed in Willy's old room now!  Now that his food and the 'truffle treat box' is gone, that is.

One last thing - the sun came out today and made the outdoors all shiny and bright so we went for a super-long "Let's Go!"  Over an hour and we got to play in the park!  There were kids there and they're moms let them play with me - oh, did I ever have FUN!  I chased, I ran, I jumped up, I barked, and finally, I rolled and rolled in the grass.  Mom kept a 10' lead on me but let go so I could run and jump to my hearts content.  When it was time to head home, she called me over and guess what?  I ran over to mom and jumped right into her arms :-D  She clipped my leash on and then we went home.  I was sooooo tired when we got home I could barely make it up the stairs to flop on the sofa.  Have no fear, I made it, though :-)






Last shots of Willy.  Mom knew he was dying and wanted to capture some last memories.  I also knew he wasn't doing well and when he started meowing, I had to protect my big brother and keep an eye on mom to make sure she wasn't hurting him.  Mom also has some video of giving him scritches - right up until he died he loved his scritches!  This was taken on January 23, the day before he died:


No comments:

Post a Comment